To make a point about the fact that that we, as British citizens who are also EU citizens, appear to be being left out of the EU citizenship discussions, I decided to take matters into my own hands and produce a giant EU passport !!
The statement in the Big EU Passport is as follows :
"This UK Passport gives us, as EU Citizens, the Right to live and work in 28 EU Countries (& 3 EEA Countries). We, the undersigned, do not want to lose this Right and ask that our Rights are fully protected and that they are valued and considered in any Brexit negotiations."Our Petitions:
December 2017 : We have set up two online petitions for the #BigEUPassport Campaign so we can really try and get our voices heard. The 50 million want to be heard !
Sign the Petitions at:
- UK Parliament petition "Protect UK Citizens' existing Freedom of Movement rights in Brexit negotiations" https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/208007 and
- "change.org" "Protect & value UK Citizens' existing Freedom of Movement rights in Brexit negotiations" http://chn.ge/2ATDhOm
Relevant News items:
20 March 2018
Shocking stuff - Article 23 does not appear on the Transition deal text-
7 March 2018
Great speech here by The Earl of Clancarty about EU Citizenship - as part of the scrutiny of the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill in the House of Lords - https://hansard.parliament.uk/lords/2018-03-07/debates/02F57C5E-B5BB-4B73-AC95-CFE375C5E898/EuropeanUnion(Withdrawal)Bill
7 February 2018 :
Brexit: Britons' citizenship case to be taken to European court
7 February 2018 :
1 February 2018 : A hearing at Brussels - I hope the Rights of UK Citizens who live in the UK, are considered: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/cmsdata/136823/Draft%20Programme.pdfToday we celebrate the 26th anniversary of the Maastricht Treaty, a historic milestone that shaped Europe's role in a new age.— European Commission (@EU_Commission) February 7, 2018
The treaty first established the European Union with European citizenship and closer cooperation in justice, police and foreign affairs. pic.twitter.com/2F7bOZrVro
November 2017: We made a submission to the EU Justice Sub-Committee
Brexit: citizens' rights inquiry. (Ref: https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/lords-select/eu-justice-subcommittee/inquiries/parliament-2017/brexit-citizens-rights/ ) and in fact on 14/12/17 we heard that our submission had been accepted ! Here is a link to all submissions and you can find us on there http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/lords-select/eu-justice-subcommittee/inquiries/parliament-2017/brexit-citizens-rights/brexit-citizens-rights-publications/
On 8th October, we went along to outside the SNP Conference in Glasgow and guess who we met! The latest person to sign the Passport - SNP MEP Alyn Smith who has made some fabulous speeches in the European Parliament and keeps us all up to date with what is going on there:
And we met up with Boris Johnson who was on a tour of Political Party Conferences! And taking the chance to have a trade mission to foreign lands ! He brought along Theresa May as well! (ok it was Faux BoJo the excellent impersonator) (https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/fauxbojo/)
And the Big EU Passport is multiplying ! Here is another fantastic Big EU Passport that has been made by the made by a “member of the Tynedale EU Interest Group“ in the North East of England. The passport has joined/been displayed/used in street actions organised by “Angels for Europe” in Alnwick and Hexham and is getting lots of interest and support and signatures:
So that is the latest news but to go back to earlier in the year when I began the "Big EU Passport" Campaign.
I then made contact with some of the fabulous EU Remain groups I have met at some meetings and marches this year. They were happy to sign. Here I am receiving the signatures in Perth from the Perth for EU group representative. The NE group in Newcastle and the Dumfries group also signed as did the European Movement in Scotland group who collected numerous signatures in Edinburgh.
And I was very honoured to receive the signature of our longest serving MEP, David Martin and on the first anniversary of the announcement of the EU Referendum vote result announcement :
And here are just some of the folk in a discussion group I go along to where we speak French who were all happy to sign the passport. Many (if not all) of these people have family and work connections with France :
Here is Catherine Stihler, MEP with Bill Rodger of the European Movement in Scotland with the Passport while at the Conference of Europeanists at University of Glasgow. Thank you for signing and for your support Catherine !
We also have signatures from a number of other people including MPs, among them Patrick Grady, Chris Law and Gavin Newlands. Thanks all.
We are hoping to present the Big EU Passport to the All Party Committee of MPs who are looking into Brexit negotiations. We may also ask them to deliver it either to No.10 or the Brexit negotiating team. A first step was to contact my local MP Jo Swinson, who came along to our French speaking group (at Garvies, Milngavie) to hear our concerns and to find out why we value our EU Citizenship:
The people signing the passport have fallen into some of the following groups, all of whom are immediately affected if by any chance we were to lose these rights:
- Those who have lived abroad over 15 years eg Pauleen Bang from Denmark who wishes to sign the passport. She received no vote in the EU Referendum. To apply for Danish citizenship takes over 2 years. Also my school friend as I said above was in this same situation.
- Those who work as contractors abroad in the EU. James signed the passport. He has contracted in IT on and off all his career. He was telling me how you get plane loads of people heading out with him each week to go to Gothenburg, Germany, Belgium etc. These people live in the UK and are presumably not counted in the "1 million UK in the EU" group, yet are very much affected as they need easy access to work across Europe.
- Other people signing have grown up children who live in Europe or have cousins who live there. One lady has a sister who lives there and her sister has married a French man and they have kids and all live happily in France ! Are all these families now to have barriers between them which weren't there before ? What if elderly parents want to move to be nearer their kids? Or a young person wants to live near their cousins?
- Have a history where their family had fled war in Europe and settled in the UK. They have grown up with strong connections with Europe.
- Young folk who have made career choices in engineering and science or in languages and European Law who had assumed there would be free movement and our passport was something that we already possessed. They have grown up with this free movement and don't even question it. They probably don't even realise how much we could have to lose.
The passport is now full of signatures, so I have contacted the Dept for Exiting the EU via their online Contact form to see if I can deliver in person or how to post it ...
Further update - the Giant EU Passport appeared on 12-14 July at the International Conference of Europeanists in Glasgow with the European Movement in Scotland.
Arrangements will then be made to present it in London at the Dept for Exiting the EU and/or All Party Committee of MPs.
WANT TO JOIN IN THE PASSPORT CAMPAIGN ? - Here is how to make one
Relevant Petitions :
- Think Again Petition - linked to Big EU Passport Campaign (European Movement in Scotland)
- European Citizens' Initiative - https://ec.europa.eu/citizens-initiative/31/public/#/
Associated News / Articles:
- This is very relevant - 12 Dec - EU Commission- https://ec.europa.eu/commission/publications/questions-and-answers-rights-eu27-and-uk-citizens-post-brexit-outlined-joint-report-negotiators-european-union-and-united-kingdom-government_en
- A parliamentary committee on Citizenship http://researchbriefings.
parliament.uk/ ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP- 7871 - but again no mention of the benefits of having EU citizenship as a UK citizen in the UK !
- Joint Technical Note on EU and UK positions - this appears to be an important document - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/joint_technical_note_on_the_comp#followup
- Wow - "The People's Challenge" just did all this EU Citizenship / Rights stuff just so much more professionally than I have !! Let's hope all these efforts make a difference - well done! - https://www.bindmans.com/uploads/files/documents/UK_Parliament_EU_Citizenship_rights_booklet.pdf
- Free Movement in Europe - Past and Present - good history of it all from Migration Watch - https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/free-movement-europe-past-and-present
- 2/11/17 - "U.K. Open to Talking About Associate Citizenship After Brexit" https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-02/u-k-is-open-to-talking-about-associate-citizenship-after-brexit
- 31/10/17 House of Lords - EU Justice Sub Committee on EU Citizens rights - covering EU in UK and UK in EU but again missing all the rest of us who currently have Rights and our Rights are not even being discussed. This is UK citizens currently living in the UK who currently have rights as EU Citizens! http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/6bd8eb49-d418-4be2-b149-da92439712a9
- 21/07/17 - Words Fail Me ... we were all in the same boat until now... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/20/britons-living-in-europe-could-lose-right-to-live-in-another-eu-country
- 14/07/17 - I am just listening to Dr Derrick Binns, Secretary of Bermuda on BBC Parliament Channel on TV saying about the huge loss that not having a UK passport with ability to move throughout the EU would be, particularly for their young people (Brexit Committee House of Lords) - same from Orlando Smith of British Virgin Islands. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08zp3wc) - Also the problems of the fact that many of the islands interconnect with for example French territories and share using hospitals and ports etc. If Freedom of Movement is lost these things could become very tricky and patients might have had to be transferred to the UK.
- Tourist visa / Schengen Visa - 2 weeks delay to get these at least - https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/tourist-schengen-visa/
- British Citizenship for Sale - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/04/golden-visa-immigration-deal-british-citizenship-home-office
- "Sky Views: I feel guilty over my new passport - John Sparks" http://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-i-feel-guilty-over-my-new-passport-10947856 (This article is so true and just shows how much those of us who do not have Irish parents etc are left stuck in the UK with no options yet we have been brought up as EU citizens with all those freedoms - we need protected !)
- A YOUGOV survey of where UK people would move to live and work (Nov 16, 2017) https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/11/16/freedom-movement-how-many-brits-were-living-and-wo/ - but again even though I do every Yougov survey that was sent to me I never got this one